[Nix-dev] Curl and GTK+ should be updated

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Apr 28 17:30:39 CEST 2009

Hello!

I just noticed a couple of issues, but fixing them would entail mass
rebuilds:

  1. Curl has OpenSSL and Zlib as build inputs, whereas it should really
     be *propagated* build inputs.

     This causes, for instance, Gnash to not build (see
     http://hydra.nixos.org/build/27010/nixlog/2/raw).  Initially,
     that's because `libcurl.la' reads this:

       dependency_libs=' -lssl -lcrypto -lrt -lz'

     (I think Libtool is being overzealous here, because this shouldn't
     be necessary.)

  2. GTK+ is built without the CUPS printer back-end, which is
     annoying.  For instance, Evince's "Print" menu item won't show all
     the available printers; instead it just suggests using lpr(1).
     This is acceptable, but clearly there's room for improvement.

Should we already start a new `stdenv-updates' branch, or modify the
`trunk'?

Thanks,
Ludo'.