[Nix-dev] Curl and GTK+ should be updated

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Tue Apr 28 17:39:49 CEST 2009

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> I just noticed a couple of issues, but fixing them would entail mass
> rebuilds:
>
>   1. Curl has OpenSSL and Zlib as build inputs, whereas it should really
>      be *propagated* build inputs.
>
>      This causes, for instance, Gnash to not build (see
>      http://hydra.nixos.org/build/27010/nixlog/2/raw).  Initially,
>      that's because `libcurl.la' reads this:
>
>        dependency_libs=' -lssl -lcrypto -lrt -lz'
>
>      (I think Libtool is being overzealous here, because this shouldn't
>      be necessary.)

Changing curl shouldn't lead to a mass rebuild, because changes to the
dependencies of fetchurl don't propagate beyond fetchurl.  (The derivations of
fetchurl callers change, but not their output paths.)  There are relatively few
packages that depend on curl directly IIRC.

>   2. GTK+ is built without the CUPS printer back-end, which is
>      annoying.  For instance, Evince's "Print" menu item won't show all
>      the available printers; instead it just suggests using lpr(1).
>      This is acceptable, but clearly there's room for improvement.

CUPS is fairly big, and it has some dependencies like PAM.  It would be nice to
have a curl-lib package containing only the library / headers.

> Should we already start a new `stdenv-updates' branch, or modify the
> `trunk'?

Changes to GTK can go to the trunk, IMHO.