[Nix-dev] OpenSSH impurity

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 13:51:41 CEST 2009

Hi Peter,

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 13:37, Peter Simons<simons at cryp.to> wrote:
> the 'ssh' client from OpenSSH reads /etc/sshd/config. As it happens,
> that file exists and contains settings OpenSSH doesn't understand
> (because the file was installed by an entirely different SSH version
> that's located in /usr). As a result, the ssh client from Nix doesn't
> work.
>
> Now I wonder: Should OpenSSH honor config files in /etc? Or ought that
> to be considered an impurity?

If possible OpenSSH should use a configuration file located in any
places in the file system (set with command line or env-vars).  If for
some reason OpenSSH cannot handle such case, then the activation
script should replace the previous file by the generated one.
Otherwise this is an impurity.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron