[Nix-dev] OpenSSH impurity

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri Jul 3 15:10:27 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 01:51:41PM +0200, Nicolas Pierron wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 13:37, Peter Simons<simons at cryp.to> wrote:
> > the 'ssh' client from OpenSSH reads /etc/sshd/config. As it happens,
> > that file exists and contains settings OpenSSH doesn't understand
> > (because the file was installed by an entirely different SSH version
> > that's located in /usr). As a result, the ssh client from Nix doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > Now I wonder: Should OpenSSH honor config files in /etc? Or ought that
> > to be considered an impurity?

Another case are those samba tools..
I made nixos add the /etc/samba/smb.conf even if you don't use the
samba. Why? Those tools require the file (eg smbclient) which you can
install without installing the service. Using the
/nix/store/*-samba/etc/smb.conf won't work if you want to configure the
service very well. So right now the same problem may appear using samba
tools as well. You can overwrite the config though.

Marc Weber