[Nix-dev] Re: Proprietary fonts not installed by default

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Jul 9 00:34:38 CEST 2009

Hello,

Tony White <tonywhite100 at googlemail.com>
writes:

> "Over the last year we’ve been observing typo-designers and their
> works; we’ve regularly collected high-quality fonts available for free
> download and free to use for personal or/and commercial projects. In
> this article we’d like to present an overview of over 40 excellent
> free fonts you might use for your professional designs in 2008."

A widely accepted definition of "free" software (or "libre" software, to
avoid the confusion) is the 4 freedoms described at
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html .  These 4 freedoms are
equally applicable to fonts.

A font that's only "available for free[*] download and free to use for
personal or/and commercial projects" (which is roughly what the
Microsoft Core Fonts EULA provides) does not provide all 4 freedoms.

Thanks,
Ludo'.

[*] Here "free" means "gratis".