[Nix-dev] Re: Why stdenv-updates branch?

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Sun Jul 19 14:48:25 CEST 2009

Hello,

Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> writes:

> I have never really understood the rationale behind the stdenv-updates
> branch. Why can't we check this change into trunk? What's the problem
> with changing a package that GCC depends on?

GCC is in `stdenv', so changing it or one of its dependencies entails a
rebuild of all packages.

I think we all want `trunk' to be stable, both in the sense that it
doesn't wreck havoc and in the sense that we don't have to download
1 GiB of pre-compiled binaries or spend 15 hours building stuff every
two days.

Thus, changes like that preferably go to the `stdenv-updates' branch.

Thanks,
Ludo'.