[Nix-dev] Re: Why stdenv-updates branch?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun Jul 19 16:22:20 CEST 2009

Hi Ludovic,

 > I think we all want `trunk' to be stable, both in the sense that it
 > doesn't wreck havoc and in the sense that we don't have to download
 > 1 GiB of pre-compiled binaries or spend 15 hours building stuff every
 > two days.

well, I for one agree that trunk should be stable as in "likely to work
alright", but I certainly don't expect trunk to be static. It's
perfectly alright for trunk to change, IMHO, and it's perfectly alright
that this means rebuilding those packages that have changed. If that is
not okay for anyone, then they shouldn't be using trunk, they should be
using a stable release version.

Personally, I'm not particularly fond of stdenv-updates. I think that
additional is an unnecessary complication for the users and for the
developers.

Just my 2 cents,
Peter