[Nix-dev] Is there a definite list of pre-reqs for nix for RPMs

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 21 00:32:40 CEST 2009

2009/7/20 Milind Parikh <milindparikh at gmail.com>:
> "RPM packages of Nix can be downloaded from http://nixos.org/. These RPMs
> should work for most fairly recent releases of SuSE and Red Hat Linux. They
> have been known to work work on SuSE Linux 8.1 and 9.0, and Red Hat 9.0. In
> fact, it should work on any RPM-based Linux distribution based on glibc 2.3
> or later."
>

> Doesn't work on centos 5.3 until you upgrade llibstdc++ to the latest
> version (that is not even available in yum repos).
>
> My question, though , is more general. The use case is "portable
> applications" (though not under nixox).
>

> Regards
> -- Milind

Hi Milind,
Do you want to do something like this :

http://hydra.nixos.org/build/47813/download/1/manual/#sec-sharing-packages

Using nix-store --export and nix-store --import, so that you can
install nix on machines running centos (Or any other Linux distro that
runs more current upstream packages) First and then just distribute
the application(s)?
Is that what you mean by portable applications? Are you interested in
using nix to distribute binaries in a portable way?

Sorry if I misunderstand.

Thanks,
Tony