[Nix-dev] Is there a definite list of pre-reqs for nix for RPMs

Milind Parikh milindparikh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 02:25:12 CEST 2009

"Using nix-store --export and nix-store --import, so that you can
install nix on machines running centos (Or any other Linux distro that
runs more current upstream packages) First and then just distribute
the application(s)?
Is that what you mean by portable applications? Are you interested in
using nix to distribute binaries in a portable way?"

In one word : yes

I am interested in assuring someone that when postgres is dropped on a
server (linux), it just will work. Of course, postgres is a metaphor.

Secondly, from security audit perspective, when libc has to be updated, all
packages will have the correct references to libc. Once again, package (as
is libc) is a metaphor; qa still has to be done; but there is simply no
better way of building. If it does not work (libc upgrade), there can be
nothing else to be done than to roll back or accept bugs.

It seems, that the first step in this, is to ensure that nix will install
and operate on a given distro (kind of the bootstrapping process for the
problem space of nix). Hence the question.