[Nix-dev] Is there a definite list of pre-reqs for nix for RPMs

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 19:06:45 CEST 2009

2009/7/21 Tony White <tonywhite100 at googlemail.com>:
> 2009/7/21 Milind Parikh <milindparikh at gmail.com>:
>> Thanks for the detailed explanation ! It was very useful.
>>
>> The question that still remains:
>>
>> (a) I know that I cannot "just install a nix RPM" despite the claim that "it
>> should work on any RPM-based Linux distribution based on glibc 2.or later.".
>> So I need to know what is the "base requirement for deploying nix is" (and
>> more importantly, how will I know how this requirement will change with
>> time).

I thought that rpm had basic dependency checking, so a RPM file can
ask for a minimal glibc version. I understand from Milind's report
that the actual RPMs don't mention the glibc dependency correctly.

I don't care about nix RPMs, but I think Milind reported a "bug" to be
fixed in the RPM releases. Those caring on nix RPMs could give an
answer in this thread.

As far as RPM packages contain compiled binaries, I don't think it can
be asserted that easily that it "should work on any RPM-based glibc 2
or later". Specially the "or later" part is prone to put the assertion
on prove.

Regarding nix source code, I think it can be compiled only with recent
versions of gcc. I tried on 3.x, and it didn't work. Maybe the newer
gcc 4 depends on a minimal glibc 2.x version.

Regards,
Lluís.