[Nix-dev] Re: Hey, this looks interesting

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 23 04:21:15 CEST 2009

2009/7/22 Isaac Dupree <ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org>:
> Tony White wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, the tracking of distributions for freshness is a not the
>> strength of the site IMO, it's the grouped tracking of upstream
>> releases and how that information can be manipulated automatically.
>
> yup.  Too much freshness inevitably leads to instability.  Especially for
> more-core packages, and I guess for more-popular (users?devs?) or
> less-popular distros.  Maybe if its ambition to "distrology" pays off, we'll
> be able to look at statistics for what the best trade-offs may be.
>  (Although I'm not sure how you can measure "instability".)
>
> -Isaac

Hi Isaac,
I'm not to sure about the stability because it varies greatly between
projects and GNU/Linux is traditionally a very stable operating
system. kde 4 for example. It just keeps becoming more and more stable
every release IMO but xorg on the other hand, just keeps getting worse
(I understand it's in the cause of progress) Every release (Especially
if you have an intel graphics adapter.) kernel mode settings at the
moment I guess.

What would be useful is using the data regarding package freshness
along with the test results phoronix collates using their test suite
when used to compare distros.
It could help developers to spot the revision where things started to
degrade and so, maybe help them improve upon the great work they do.

Thanks,

Tony