[Nix-dev] Halting

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Wed May 27 02:25:29 CEST 2009

2009/5/26 Lluís Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I've done some investigations on the halt sequence, because it didn't
> work as it's in nixos-trunk or modular-nixos.
> - On the fast machine I use at work, I've seen the halt sequence
> finishing well. This may not have a very recent nixos built.
> - On my other two machines (notebook AMD 1600MHz and virtualbox guest
> there) the halt sequence doesn't reach the filesystem umounting.
>
> I saw that after the "kill -KILL -1" I don't see anything more. Maybe
> this kill changed in semantics in bash 4 from what it meant in bash
> 3.2?
> If I remove the "kill -KILL -1", then the fs can't be umounted. also bad.
>
> Aren't you experiencing anything like this? This worked before I
> updated my system to a recent nixos (after stdenv-merge).

Yep, trunk not clean at halting or rebooting, which would explain my
earlier messages about rebuild switch failing because of filesystem
errors.
Now that you mention it, it's a very good call if anyone else is
seeing this halting issue.
Shutdown or poweroff isn't something I suppose that most people would
generally pay much attention to? It certainly slipped my mind to
enquire. But to answer your question in short, yes. I have seen what
you are describing and can reproduce it.

Do you mean from nixos running xorg, no xorg or obviously both?
I'm seeing the issue with both.
You're not alone,
Tony