[Nix-dev] Gimp: Trouble loading .jpg files !

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Sun Sep 27 16:57:40 CEST 2009

Hi,

Marc Weber wrote:

> Cause; ~/.gimp-2.6 contained some references to old gimp-2.6 store paths
> which were removed by nix gc.

I haven't been able to reproduce this.  I also see a lot of store paths in
~/.gimp-2.6, but after upgrading from GIMP 2.6.4 to 2.6.6, GIMP automatically
updated all of them (except one comment line in ~/.gimp-2.6/gimprc) to the new
store path.

> What do you think about wrapping gimp so that it writes its own store
> pathsint ~/.gimp-2.6/storepath which it can check itself on startup and
> run the sed command like this:
>   find . -type f  | xargs  sed -i 's@/nix/store/$OLD_GIMP@/nix/store/$NEW_GIMP at g'
> after asking the user for confirmation?

No, you certainly shouldn't ask for confirmation.  If it's necessary, it's
necessary; and the average user won't know what to answer anyway.  It's also not
necessary to remember to old store path; just use a regular expression to match
any old GIMP path.

BTW, a much better solution in the long term would be to patch GIMP to store
only relative paths (to GIMP's own prefix, or some plugin search path) in
~/.gimp-2.6/pluginrc.  This might even be acceptable upstream.