[Nix-dev] Licensing

maggesi at math.unifi.it maggesi at math.unifi.it
Sat Apr 10 18:37:30 CEST 2010

Hi,

the licensing condition of dmtcp says that dmtcp is LGPL3 but then adds:

"As a special exception, the copyright holders contribute the two files
dmtcp/src/dmtcpaware.c and dmtcp/src/dmtcpaware.h to the public domain and
grant permission for these two files to be redistributed or changed under
any license."

So, what would be appropriate to put in the meta.license attribute?

Another more complicated example is the OCaml license:
http://caml.inria.fr/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/ocaml/trunk/LICENSE?rev=7820
which is a dual licensing with a "linking exception".

I'm aware that there was a long discussion on licenses on this mailing
list some times ago, but I was to busy to follow the detail at that
time, sorry.  Also I have the impression that the corresponding
section in Nixpkgs Manual has not been updated in a long time.

Thanks.
Marco

PS: sometimes I'm tempted to put in mata.licence the derivation that
builds the file COPYING...  ;-)