[Nix-dev] Re: Python packages in peril

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Apr 20 14:22:37 CEST 2010

Hi Marc,

Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:

> No doubt I will cause disruption in the future again. If you dislike it
> too much there are 3 ways:
> a) force me to use a marc-weber branch for comitting only
> b) rename trunk to "stable", ask everyone to commit to different
>   branches. Setup a weekly meeting (can be done by email) to discuss which
>   changes to merge into "stable" or what to change before merging into
>   "stable". Code quality will increase.
>   The buildfarm could be setup to build all those -dev branches.
>   Failures which may occur some days after comitting will be caught.
> b') switch to git and use b) style of development.
> c) cancel my SVN account

FWIW I don’t think we have to go to such extremes.

For such refactorings, whoever works on them should (1) make sure to
discuss them beforehand, (2) create a topic branch while experimenting
(the branch can even be local to your git-svn repo), and (3) merge to
trunk when there’s consensus.  That’s it.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ludo’.