[Nix-dev] Python changes - what to keep now

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Apr 20 18:52:45 CEST 2010

I'd like to keep the following features:

  - pass python once

  - have one attr containing all stuff belonging to one python version.
    This is currently python26Packages and python25Packages

    Of course depending packages such as qt etc will never be moved into
    this attr set..

Implementation details which may make sense to change (back)

  - use throw or assert instead of by b attr set to indicate that some
    packages don't build

    This means adding more lines of code and duplicating code.
    So whether this is an improvement is a matter of taste

  - rename the *big* file containing most python packages back:
    pkgs/development/python2-packages/default.nix
    pkgs/python-packages.nix

    If this is not done we adjust documentation.

    I consider this being a minor implementation detail compared to
    the amount of packages we had in all-packages.nix before.

I'd like to focus on how things should look like.
I'd like to stop the discussion about how I did it.

I'd also like to remove my older python packages:

  # new python and lib proposal
  # - adding a python lib to buildinputs should be enough
  #   (handles .pth files by patching site.py
  #    while introducing NIX_PYTHON_SITES describing list of modules)
  # - adding pyCheck = "import foo" test scripts to ensure libraries can be imported
  # - providing pythonWrapper so that you can run python and import the selected libraries
  # feel free to comment on this (experimental)
  python25New = recurseIntoAttrs ((import ../development/interpreters/python-new/2.5) pkgs);
  pythonNew = python25New; # the default python

So if you're still using them yell.

Marc Weber