[Nix-dev] Hydra shouldn't notify me in case a dependency failed to build

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Apr 28 23:55:55 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Rob Vermaas's message of Wed Apr 28 20:44:48 +0200 2010:
> Hi Peter,
>
> > I've received about 12 e-mail messages from Hydra recently because
> > packages that Git depends on failed to build. Now, I would like to
> > notified when *Git* fails to build, but I don't want to receive those
> > e-mails. Is there a way to configure that?
>
> No this is not possible in Hydra at the moment, and won't be
> configurable in the very nearby future.

I don't think implementing it would be that hard.
You had to modify the buildfarm building each dependency on its own.
Eg cerate the .drv path and traverse the dependency tree. Then build
the deps piecwise and abort if a dependency can't be build.

I don't know how the negative caching works - I remember having read
about this on the ml in the past? But doing so could make sense:

A - B
 `- C

If A doesn't build (which was triggered by B) C could be removed from
the queue as well.

How does the current implementation look like? If its using negative caching
for B only A will be rebuild as dep of C and the build will fail again.
Given that there are many packages this could lead to a lot of extra
work..

Marc Weber