[Nix-dev] Merging ‘stdenv-updates’?

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Jan 5 14:51:20 CET 2010

Hello Nixers!

I think it’s high time we merged ‘stdenv-updates’ into ‘trunk’.  There’s
a wealth of nice new things in there!

There’ll be a Coreutils release in the next few days, which I think we
can wait.  Glibc 2.11.1 was released a few days ago but the ports
tarball isn’t available so I guess we’ll stick to 2.11.  Marc has an
ALSA-lib patch that could get in before we merge.  Anything else?

Other than that, non-GNU platforms are somewhat broken:

  - The Darwin box has apparently been unavailable for some time and
    hasn’t rebuilt ‘stdenv-updates’ lately, and I suspect it’s broken.

  - Bash 4.1 fails to build on Cygwin
    (http://hydra.nixos.org/build/206156).

  - The dependencies of GCC 4.4 fail to build on non-GNU platforms
    (http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/2382).

  - The BSD ports suffer from not using GNU Coreutils, notably because
    some builders use GNU-specific options (e.g., ‘cp -v’,
    http://hydra.nixos.org/build/205890/nixlog/1/tail).  So currently no
    BSD port works.

I suggest leaving a few days to the people interested in BSD and
{Cyg,Dar}win to look into these issues, then merge.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ludo’.