[Nix-dev] Different behavior of cryopid on two "identical" machines

Marco Maggesi maggesi at math.unifi.it
Fri Jan 8 18:39:02 CET 2010

Hi,

sorry for the late replay but I do not have very busy these days.

I moved the two virtual machines on the same physical host and the
different
behavior persists. Thus I can now exclude that this depends on the
Host OS or
on the version of VirtualBox.

I tried to use strace & gdb to get some insight but I'm not competent
enough to understand what is going.  Perhaps someone else on this list
is
able to do better than me:

I put three files in the directory

   http://web.math.unifi.it/users/maggesi/Hello/

- hello.c        a test program.
- hello          the compiled version.
- hello.freeze   the binary freezed with cryopid.

When I run ./hello.freeze the program crashes immediately after one
line of output.

I would be glad to know if other people could test cryopid (especially
on i686)
and say what they get.

To test crypoid you can follow these steps:

0. install cryopid: nix-env -i cryopid
1. open a console
2. gcc -o hello hello.c
3. ./hello
4. the program output its PID and a sequence of progressive numbers.
5. open another console
6. crypid hello.freeze <PID>
7. test the generated binary: ./hello.freeze

Thanks again,
Marco