[Nix-dev] Re: Parallel building support, 1st attempt

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Tue Jun 22 21:14:19 CEST 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 3:08 PM, Marc Weber wrote:

> Excerpts from Jeff Johnson's message of Tue Jun 22 20:54:23 +0200 2010:
>> I don't disagree. My suggestion was for "clearly documented source",
>> not for "portability".You're still talking about the NIX_BUILD_CORES naming, correct?
>
> You know that this is a "user setting" only now. How would you call it so
> that someone like you having read many specs upside down isn't fooled by
> the name?

Yes, I'm just catching up that build-cores is user settable.

> If you think that I'm totally missing the point tell me please.

The point is that #cpu's is misleading. It is the "wrong abstraction"
because one gets tricked by innate naive comprehensions of what
no. of CPU's actually "means".

Just parameterize make options directly is what I would do and
lose all the baggage. KISS rules.

73 de Jeff