[Nix-dev] Parallel building support, 2nd attempt

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Wed Jun 23 17:08:57 CEST 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Eelco Dolstra wrote:

> BTW, strictly speaking we don't need `--cores' since you can also use `--option
> build-cores N'.

I can't help with naming, but POPT for CLI args permits aliases
to adjust options without recompiling code.

I have POPT tables for all Nix executables any time you wish. I
look at potential usage cases for POPT at least weekly by
drilling in POPT tables, largely for the thought process associated
with the tedious busy work.

Meanwhile your option processing in Nix is quite elegant and clean already.
You could likely wire up an "alias" to remap "--cores" to "--option build-cores N"
in 20 minutes any time you wished. The benefit is that yo have an "alias"
layer, no code needs to be changed or recompiled.

hth

73 de Jeff