[Nix-dev] Hydra impurity reminder

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Mon Jun 28 12:42:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 06/28/2010 12:00 PM, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:

> Another nice feature would be sending the output of the configure phase. I
> see that sometimes nix people upgrade packages without local rebuilds (e.g.,
> "big fat KDE upgrade"). Sometimes a package fails to find an optional
> dependency, and nobody notices this untill someone needs the feature.

I agree with Michael Raskin that this will produce a lot of spam that nobody
will look at.  (I do think it's useful to make config.log available somewhere.)
 I think a better idea is to express this as a kind of regression test in the
builder itself, e.g.

  postConfigure =
    ''
      grep 'checking for dependency XYZ.*yes' config.log
    '';

Or even better, make a NixOS test that verifies whether the desired feature
still works :-)

> P.S.: I've just found a few impure paths in kdesdk. I'll try to fix it and
> send merge-request upstream.

Great!