[Nix-dev] Binary patches

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Mon Jun 28 15:19:24 CEST 2010

Hi,

A few days ago, I've finally re-enabled generation of binary patches for the
Nixpkgs channel (the "official" one at
http://nixos.org/releases/nixpkgs/channels/nixpkgs-unstable, not the Hydra
Nixpkgs jobset).  If you now upgrade a package, you may notice that Nix will
download binary patches instead of full binaries, depending on what you have in
your Nix store.  For instance, an upgrade from Firefox 3.6.4 to 3.6.6 is just a
9 KiB download.

BTW, if you have a fast connection then binary patching may actually be slower
than downloading the full binary.  We should probably take into account CPU and
network performance...