[Nix-dev] Re: PATCH: update package r-lang

Ambrus Kaposi kaposi.ambrus at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 14:04:53 CET 2010

Hi,

Thanks for applying the patch.

Yes, the optional dependency is broken, and the package
development/libraries/science/biology/bioconductor/bioconductor.nix is
also broken (outdated+obvious spelling errors+bad arguments+there is a
circular dependency between R and bioconductor). I tried to resolve
these issues without success.

R has its own separate package system (like cabal for Haskell) and
everything can be installed easily in the user's home directory
including bioconductor (which is a separate kind of R package
collection).
It seems to me that bioconductor.nix tries to be a common interface
for bioconductor packages like buildPythonPackage is for Python, but
was never finished (according to svn it was last updated 2 years ago
by pjotrp with the following log:
- Trying bioconductor packages with R-lang (still failing)
).

Ambrus