[Nix-dev] (newbie) nix-env custom package installation

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Dec 4 12:08:33 CET 2011

Excerpts from Иван Левашев's message of Sun Dec 04 07:43:14 +0100 2011:
> I'm running in circles. I can't install a self-written derivation that I
> haven't written into all-packages.nix. Manual only has samples where a
> package is present in all-packages.nix. I don't want to touch this file yet.
That's the way to go: use packageOverrides:
https://nixos.org/wiki/Howto_keep_multiple_packages_up_to_date_at_once

Keeping changes to nixpkgs is fine as well - for a limited time.
If you want to keep patches longer you have to create your own branches
(using SVN asking for access) - or by using git/mercurial/... mirrors.
I maintain git mirrors for nixos/nixpkgs. Thus forking and keeping local
changes is cheap. Contact me on irc (MarcWeber) if you want more details
about the git way and write again if the wiki page above does not show
what you're looking for.

Marc Weber