[Nix-dev] NixOS install from Linux using lilo

Sergey Mironov ierton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 16:09:20 CET 2011

Hello list. I am trying to install Nixos on my Lenovo S10-3t netbook. I
followed wiki article [1] but the problem is that I have lilo instead of
grub as the boot manager. I have tried to translate grub config lines into
lilo.conf but faced failed booting saying:

--
mounting /dev/root on /...
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

An error occured in stage 1 of the boot process, which must mount the rot
filesystem on '/mnt-root' and then start stage 2. Please  ... and so on.
--

Have anyone tried to do the same trick? Could you please to check my
lilo.conf for obvious errors?

My computer has /dev/sda2 for /boot, /dev/sda5 for working OS root,
/dev/sda7 for free partition to install nixos to.

Here are places where I have copied nixos boot files
/boot/nixos-livecd-bzImage
/boot/nixos-livecd-initrd
/nix-store.squashfs

And my lilo.conf record is

image = /boot/nixos-livecd-bzImage
root = /dev/sda5
label = nixos-livecd
initrd = /boot/nixos-livecd-initrd
append = "init=/nix/store/0bkyc0rk56amglvas0kfsbq3zwp47yam-system/init
splash=verbose"

Thanks,
Sergey

[1] - http://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_install_NixOS_from_linux