[Nix-dev] NixOS install from Linux using lilo

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Dec 25 16:30:48 CET 2011

Excerpts from Sergey Mironov's message of Sun Dec 25 16:09:20 +0100 2011:
> Hello list. I am trying to install Nixos on my Lenovo S10-3t netbook. I
> followed wiki article [1] but the problem is that I have lilo instead of
> grub as the boot manager. I have tried to translate grub config lines into
> lilo.conf but faced failed booting saying:

I'm sorry having to say it but adding your other distro to
configuration.nix of nixos linux does make more sense because
NixOS linux recreates the grub.cfg each time you update the system.

That's why its a lot more work to update your lilo each time compared to
telling nixos once to include your other distros startup setup in its
grup.conf.

As alternative for now you can start a shell (not having pid 1) when the
error occurs and mount your partition manually. Then exit helper shell
and continue.
Eventually you just forgott to make nixos know about which partitions to
mount?

See fileSystems = { neededForBoot = true; [.. more omitted here .. ] }

The nixos manual should have an example.

Marc Weber