[Nix-dev] NixOS install from Linux using lilo

Sergey Mironov ierton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 18:16:44 CET 2011

2011/12/25 Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de>

> Excerpts from Sergey Mironov's message of Sun Dec 25 16:09:20 +0100 2011:
> > Hello list. I am trying to install Nixos on my Lenovo S10-3t netbook. I
> > followed wiki article [1] but the problem is that I have lilo instead of
> > grub as the boot manager. I have tried to translate grub config lines
> into
> > lilo.conf but faced failed booting saying:
>
> I'm sorry having to say it but adding your other distro to
> configuration.nix of nixos linux does make more sense because
> NixOS linux recreates the grub.cfg each time you update the system.
>
> That's why its a lot more work to update your lilo each time compared to
> telling nixos once to include your other distros startup setup in its
> grup.conf.
>
> As alternative for now you can start a shell (not having pid 1) when the
> error occurs and mount your partition manually. Then exit helper shell
> and continue.
> Eventually you just forgott to make nixos know about which partitions to
> mount?
>
> See fileSystems = { neededForBoot = true; [.. more omitted here .. ] }
>
> The nixos manual should have an example.
>
> Marc Weber

Thanks for quick answer. Actually, l forgot to mention that I am trying to
boot into Nixos boot CD image, not into Nixos itself. So the source of the
error should be somewhere in my lilo configuration. But after reading your
words about grub's importance I see no point in using lilo. I have
installed grub on my original system and made second attempt to boot from
Nixos live cd. It showed another error, but this time I know what to do -
 looks like wiki article
http://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_install_NixOS_from_linux is out of date
because ID for ''/nix/store/0bkyc0rk56amglvas0kfsbq3zwp47yam-system/init"
has changed. One need to mount squashfs image, figure out the correct id
and use it instead of wiki's one.

Thnak yoy again,
Sergey