[Nix-dev] contribute patches and support of AIX platform

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 22:26:37 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:11:29AM -0400, Olexiy Buyanskyy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am curious is bug tracking reviewed by anybody?
> I have submitted two bugs
>
> http://yellowgrass.org/issue/Nix/207
> http://yellowgrass.org/issue/Nix/215

At that time the issue addition was not emailed anywhere, but now it is. It
should be easier to catch them there now. I think the yellowgrass tracker works
more as a reminder for 'things to do', than any place to discuss about issues
found. But that's just my impression, and those who started using it may
clarify their intention. :)

I don't know much automake/autoconf, and I'm not sure if your information is
enough to update nix for your system. So I think that if you could provide a
patch that worked for you, and does not break non-AIX, it would be accepted
quickly.

> I was able to compile and run tests. I have some issues to parse whole
> tree of nixpkgs (coredump issue)

Nix used to have a big stack footprint, and maybe still does. You could check
this.

Nix also uses the libgc, that may not be stable on AIX (with whatever processor
you use there). I don't know if it can be compiled without libgc nowadays, but
for sure you could try an older release that did not involve libgc at all.

Regards,
Lluís.

> Where should I submit issues: mailing list or bug tracking?
If you expect any discussion beyond "note that some day I'd like you to fix
this", I think the mailing list will work better.

> Does anybody have experience to run nix on AIX?

zero.

Regards,
Lluís.