[Nix-dev] contribute patches and support of AIX platform

Olexiy Buyanskyy olexiyb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 14:04:00 CET 2011

Lluís,

2011/3/14 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viriketo at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:11:29AM -0400, Olexiy Buyanskyy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am curious is bug tracking reviewed by anybody?
>> I have submitted two bugs
>>
>> http://yellowgrass.org/issue/Nix/207
>> http://yellowgrass.org/issue/Nix/215
>>
> At that time the issue addition was not emailed anywhere, but now it is. It
> should be easier to catch them there now. I think the yellowgrass tracker works
> more as a reminder for 'things to do', than any place to discuss about issues
> found. But that's just my impression, and those who started using it may
> clarify their intention. :)
Can some one just confirm that http://yellowgrass.org/issue/Nix/215 is
really issue? So I will prepare patch.

> I don't know much automake/autoconf, and I'm not sure if your information is
> enough to update nix for your system. So I think that if you could provide a
> patch that worked for you, and does not break non-AIX, it would be accepted
> quickly.
I have attached patch to fix small test issue here
http://yellowgrass.org/issue/Nix/207

>> I was able to compile and run tests. I have some issues to parse whole
>> tree of nixpkgs (coredump issue)
>
> Nix used to have a big stack footprint, and maybe still does. You could check
> this.
I think you were right about gcc stability. I have used gcc 3.4.2
instead and now get
error: St9bad_alloc. I think this is because of compilation difference
between gcc 3.4.2 and gcc 4.2.
I suspect that gcc 3.4.2 by default use -qlanglvl=newexcp, but gcc 4.2 does not.

I also found that nix-env eats a lot of data segment memory
with default ulimit -d 131072 it able to process 2824 nix files
when I set ulimit -d unlimited it able to process 3908 nix files

This does not have any sense to me. bad_alloc should be thrown if no
dynamic memory, but I have
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited
Going to investigate more