[Nix-dev] GCC 4.6.0

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Mon Mar 28 13:36:43 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Attached is a patch to add GCC 4.6.0 to nixpkgs. Notes:

    * I first ran svn cp pkgs/development/compilers/gcc-4.5
      pkgs/development/compilers/gcc-4.6, which will be necessary to
      apply the patch.
    * GCC 4.6.0 now requires ppl 0.11 for graphite optimizations, so I
      bumped that.
          o GCC 4.5 will build against ppl 0.11. I have not checked GCC
            4.4, the first release supporting Graphite.
          o I had to change a hard-coded version check in CLooG-PPL's
            configure; this was recommended by some Gentoo devs and all
            of its tests passed against the new ppl.
    * I updated update-gcc.sh to work with GnuPG 2.x, which is the
      default if you just nix-env -i gnupg. It will still work with
      GnuPG 1.x.
    * $out/libexec/gcc/*/* contains a static library liblto_plugin.la,
      so the loop to take bootstrap-tools out of the RPATHs of the
      resulting binaries fails with "Not an ELF binary". I added an if
      statement to the loop to fix this.
    * I successfully built gcc46, gfortran46, and gcj46. I have not
      tested that the resulting binaries work.
    * I have not tested gcc46_realCross, as I don't know how
      cross-compiling on Nix works yet and do not have time to look into
      it right now.
    * gnat46 failed when I tried to build it by copying gnat45 and
      changing the gcc version to 4.6.0. I removed that from this patch,
      as I do not have time to debug that right now.
    * There's a space missing between grub2 and grub2_efi that's been
      really bothering me.

Cheers,
Shea Levy