[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r29559- nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Sun Oct 2 14:05:59 CEST 2011

>> Log:
>> Linux 3.x: Use our module directory during modules_install
>>
>> The "unset MODULE_DIR" trick was enough to get Linux 3.x kernels compiling, but it was definitely the Wrong Thing
>> We NEED MODULE_DIR set so that depmod can store the right dependencies during the build. The REAL problem with the
>> 3.x kernels was two-fold: Our module-init-tools was so old that the kernel build needed to introduce a hack when
>> calling depmod (involving creating a symlink prepending 99.98 to the version number), and the depmod wrapper was
>> moved out of the Makefile into scripts/depmod.sh, so our substituteInPlace to get rid of '-b $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH)' in
>> the Makefile was a noop and INSTALL_MOD_PATH was still being passed to depmod. This is now fixed and modprobe can
>> successfully find dependencies using the modules.dep created during install
>>
>> Modified:
>>     nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel/generic.nix
>>     nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel/linux-3.0.nix
>>     nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel/linux-3.1.nix
>>

>Hi all,
>
>The problems that this commit fixes makes me wonder how the hell anyone
>got 3.x working on a NixOS system without it. Did anyone here have a
>working system that didn't symlink /lib/modules? If so, could you share
>your configuration.nix and any system-wide changes (e.g. local patches
>to nixpkgs/nixos, special symlinks, etc.) that were in place?

Me.

Linux 3.0.4

/lib/ : doesn't exist

nixpkgs: nothing uncommitted reachable from all-packages.nix
nixos: vanilla tree

configuration: https://svn.nixos.org/repos/nix/configurations/trunk/misc/raskin/raskin-asus-n53j.nix , r29561

Warning: "effective" configuration.nix is huge

nixpkgs config: https://svn.nixos.org/repos/nix/configurations/trunk/misc/raskin/raskin-config.nix

I remember doing some trivial things like changing module load order and adding modules to explicit load to fix some race conditions during initial boot.