[Nix-dev] comments on: -r29543 Use ruby 1.9 as the default - renaming files

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Oct 2 22:43:56 CEST 2011

Hi Shea Levy,

-  ruby18 = callPackage ../development/interpreters/ruby { };
-  ruby19 = callPackage ../development/interpreters/ruby/ruby-19.nix { };
-  ruby = ruby18;
+  ruby18 = callPackage ../development/interpreters/ruby/ruby-18.nix { };
+  ruby19 = callPackage ../development/interpreters/ruby { };
+  ruby = ruby19

Don't rename files for the sake of renaming unless there is a strong reason.
If you want to read history or if you have local changes
applied to those files this kind of renaming is causing a lot of
additional work for no extra value. So just *don't* do it. Its ok to have
default.nix containing ruby18 which is no longer the default, isn't it?

If you have to rename then consider keeping version number in all files
so that you
  - know what is contained in a file
  - you don't have to rename it again when there is a ruby-2.0 version.

If there is a reason which I've missed make me understand your
reasoning, please.

Marc Weber