[Nix-dev] Stablilizing stdenv-updates

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Mon Oct 3 18:10:56 CEST 2011

Hi,

Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> skribis:

> apparently, you disabled most builds in stdenv-updates with commit 26578. I
> agree that this was a good idea at the time, because the branch was in a
> sort-of wild state back then. Today, however, the situation has changed. We
> are working actively to stabilize the branch, and we need those builds
> performed.

Actually, as you’ve seen, I just run ‘gnupdate -s stdenv’ on that branch
yesterday.  This is a requirement before we can claim to stabilize the
branch, because it can touch a number of fundamental packages.

For instance, gnupdate turned up a glibc update (2.14), which I didn’t
commit because the glibc-ports package isn’t available yet.  I’d be
tempted to wait until it’s available, and at that point update to 2.14
and see what happens.

When that is done, and only then, I can switch the nixpkgs:stdenv jobset
to use release.nix instead of release-small.nix.  We’ll also want to
test on ARM and MIPS (Lluís can do both, and I can test the former.)

That’s the “usual” process we’ve been following (mostly Lluís, Eelco,
myself, and a few others), though it’s not documented.

Thanks,
Ludo’.