[Nix-dev] Re: Planned Changes for Darwin Users

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Sep 1 23:10:31 CEST 2011

Hi Shea!

shea at shealevy.com skribis:

> 3. Finding or making replacements for all the needed Xcode tools that
> Apple hasn't open-sourced.

[...]

> My longer-term goals include:
>
> 1. Achieving stdenv purity on-par with the Linux stdenv. This will
> ultimately depend on how many of the requisite projects are open-sourced
> by Apple, but at the very least we'll be able to remove the dependency on
> the system libc, as Apple has open-sourced that.

What about using Apple’s libc along with a GNU user land, and in
particular GCC?

What benefits are there in using XCode?

Besides, I suspect the build systems of Darwin’s core tools may not be
very convenient and friendly; you’ll have to tell us if this is the
case.  ;-)

Apart from that, I think this is a worthy goal.  BTW, note that
currently Darwin’s stdenv is more “impure” than intended, as it relies
on the ‘replace’ command [0] and on GNU Findutils to bootstrap.  What
about fixing that for a start?  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[0] http://yellowgrass.org/issue/Nixpkgs/113