[Nix-dev] Re: Planned Changes for Darwin Users

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Fri Sep 2 00:32:29 CEST 2011

ludo at gnu.org wrote:

>Hi Shea!
>
>shea at shealevy.com skribis:
>
>> 3. Finding or making replacements for all the needed Xcode tools that
>> Apple hasn't open-sourced.
>
>[...]
>
>> My longer-term goals include:
>>
>> 1. Achieving stdenv purity on-par with the Linux stdenv. This will
>> ultimately depend on how many of the requisite projects are
>open-sourced
>> by Apple, but at the very least we'll be able to remove the
>dependency on
>> the system libc, as Apple has open-sourced that.
>
>What about using Apple’s libc along with a GNU user land, and in
>particular GCC?
>
>What benefits are there in using XCode?

This is probably the best for the longterm, but if it's not too onerous I'd like to just have a purer stdenv that uses the same tools the current stdenv does so we change as little as possible. The latest GNU binutils doesn't support as or ld for mach-o, so we'll need the Apple versions of those until it does. I also think it will be useful to keep around an "stdenv-xcode" that uses the Apple sources whenever available once we do switch to GNU userland.

>Besides, I suspect the build systems of Darwin’s core tools may not be
>very convenient and friendly; you’ll have to tell us if this is the
>case.  ;-)

Well, I'm one package in and having to write tool to parse an undocumented machine-generated build configuration file, so...

>Apart from that, I think this is a worthy goal.  BTW, note that
>currently Darwin’s stdenv is more “impure” than intended, as it relies
>on the ‘replace’ command [0] and on GNU Findutils to bootstrap.  What
>about fixing that for a start?  :-)

Added to my list :)