[Nix-dev] disabling pulseaudio in kde

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Fri Sep 2 16:23:14 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 09/02/2011 04:13 PM, roconnor at theorem.ca wrote:

> # nixos-option hardware.pulseaudio.enable
> false
>
> I was under the impression that hardware.pulseaudio.enable was for enabling root
> managed pulseaudio (which I understand that pulseaudio does *not* recommend).

That's another option (services.pulseaudio.enable).

> As I understand this nasty instance of pulseaudio is coming from kde somewhere.
> Last time, when I was running KDE 4.4, I removed pulseaudio from the build
> inputs of phonon (see nixpkgs revision 24027), but now under KDE 4.5, pulseaudio
> doesn't appear to be in the build inputs to phonon.

Removing pulseaudio from the dependencies should no longer be necessary, because
the "autospawn=no" flag in /etc/pulse/client.conf should prevent it from being
started.

Note that this didn't work prior to r28147 because PulseAudio used $prefix/etc
for its configuration.  Is it possible that you have a binary somewhere (maybe
in your profile) that links against an old PulseAudio?