[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r29021 - nixos/trunk/modules/misc

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:46:37 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 01:45, Yury G.  Kudryashov <urkud.urkud at gmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, why do you think that packageOverrides is the only useful nixpkgs
> option? I use config.gems as well. Of couse, I can rewrite rubygems-nix
> magic to use packageOverrides but I'd prefer to have some time for this...

packagesOverrides is the only one which is able to scale with less
modifications.  Others options may need instrumentation inside
all-packages.nix for each packages and for each flag.  I want to put
flags such as Gentoo at the same level as packages and rely on
callPackage to provide the right flags to the package expression.

Of course, both need package instrumentation to handle them but using
callPackage avoid usage of getConfig inside all-packages.nix which is
another mechanism which lead to more hand work and to more useless
lines.

  grub = callPackage_i686 ../tools/misc/grub {
    buggyBiosCDSupport = getConfig ["grub" "buggyBiosCDSupport"] true;
  };

My final goal is to get rid of all-packages.nix which I think to be an
unnecessary index.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/