[Nix-dev] Sharing the Nix store between systems

Rickard Nilsson rickard.nilsson at telia.com
Thu Sep 29 23:30:31 CEST 2011

Hi,

I would like to put /nix/store in a central NFS share, and let all my
NixOS computers mount it over the network. This would save disk space and
make new computer deploys simple.

However there are some things that I don't know how to handle.

* How can I in NixOS specify which user that should do the builds? I would
like to use users and groups defined in a central LDAP catalog, and not
let NixOS create any local build users/groups.

* How would I stop Nix on one host from removing contents from the store
that is used by other hosts?

* Is there a way to also throw a build server into the picture, so that
NixOS computers can ask the build server to build store paths, which would
then be put on the NFS share directly by the build server?

Best regards,
   Rickard Nilsson