[Nix-dev] Sharing the Nix store between systems

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri Sep 30 08:50:32 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Rickard Nilsson's message of Thu Sep 29 23:30:31 +0200 2011:
> * How can I in NixOS specify which user that should do the builds? I would
> like to use users and groups defined in a central LDAP catalog, and not
> let NixOS create any local build users/groups.
grep in nix source for nixbldX

> * How would I stop Nix on one host from removing contents from the store
> that is used by other hosts?
patch nix or put references in /nix/var/nix/gcroots/..

> * Is there a way to also throw a build server into the picture, so that
> NixOS computers can ask the build server to build store paths, which would
> then be put on the NFS share directly by the build server?
If you have a client server setup there are remote builders. That's what
currently works. See manual and nix.buildMachines.
If you want to share the store so that you don't have to copy store
paths first before building I don't know about existing solutions yet -
but I'm interested in finding one as well.

Marc Weber