[Nix-dev] gcc for MacOS X

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Fri Apr 13 21:37:07 CEST 2012

Ludovic Courtès writes:

 > I had noticed it too.  Actually, ‘stdenv’ on Darwin builds fine because
 > it uses ‘noSysDirs = false’ somehow, so the faulty patch didn’t get
 > applied.
 >
 > Anyway, I just fixed ‘no-sys-dirs.patch’ so that it actually applies.

Great. I think I got to the same point, and compilation of gcc
progresses quite a bit, but ultimately fails because it doesn't find
stdio.h, which is indeed nowhere in my Nix store. Do you know where
this should come from?

 > As for GFortran, I don’t know what to do.  Apple’s latest GCC 4.2
 > tarballs don’t include it (although previous versions did).  I tried
 > pulling in GCC’s GFortran (patch attached), but that doesn’t work:

MacPorts uses a non-Apple gcc installation for everything including
Fortran. This sounds reasonable since people tend compile standard
Unix stuff (as opposed to Mac-specific programs) with package
managers like MacPorts or Nix. I tried somewhat naively to install
gcc46 with Nix, but that fails rather quickly.

Anyway, it's good to say that I am not the only Mac user here :-)

Konrad.