[Nix-dev] gcc for MacOS X

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Tue Apr 24 16:24:13 CEST 2012

Ludovic Courtès writes:

 > Can you remove GMP from /usr/local?
 >
 > It’s generally a bad idea to have software available there on Hydra,
 > because then packages built with Nix may end up using them, leading to a
 > complete mess of impurity as the rest of the world knows it.  :-)

MacPorts for example :-)

It's difficult not to have anything in /usr/local, since Nix installs
itself there as well. But I did remove GMP plus some stuff that depended on
it (gpmc, mpfr), and now gcc46 compiles to the end, in just a few hours.

 > Note that you should soon be able to grab binaries from hydra.nixos.org.

That would take all the fun out of it ;-)

Anyway, it looks like I can finally start to use my nixpkgs installation for
real work - thanks a lot!

If anyone is curious about what I plan to use Nix for, here's a blog post on my
adventure:

http://khinsen.wordpress.com/2012/04/10/unifying-version-control-and-dependency-management-for-reproducible-research/

(you have to read to the next-to-last paragraph to see a reference to Nix)

Konrad.