[Nix-dev] donating through hydra

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Feb 28 16:35:48 CET 2012

Excerpts from Michael Raskin's message of Tue Feb 28 07:53:43 +0100 2012:
> >I'm not sure of the powers of 'nix-store --verify-path', but so far I
> >was under the (wrong) impression, that nix has methods that do not
> >require trust into the build farm (provider).

If you have access to root of the "buildfarm" you can copy arbitrary code to
$out *while* the build is running. That's why you have to trust the
maintainer of the buildfarm (I'm not saying that I'm mistrusting Florian
- just raising the awarness).

Amazon has "idle" instances and lower pricing. Has anyone evaluated how
cheap those resources are? People offering most money will be assigned
the resources. They have to have more resources then they need - because
they want to satisfy temporarily peeks of their customers.

Then we could all donate for those instances.

I have no feeling about how many money it actually costs to build a
branch. Do we have any rough estimations (CPU running time or such?)

Before sponsoring hardware blindly we should also settle on a strategy
if required to minimize costs. Just because we can burn CPUs doesn't
mean we should.

Marc Weber