[Nix-dev] Configuration phase hangs after stdenv update

Rickard Nilsson rickard.nilsson at telia.com
Mon Mar 19 11:48:40 CET 2012

Hi,

I have a strange error on my virtual NixOS server that I use as a build
server. After the stdenv update, no builds succeed on the machine. They
hang in the configuration phase (after the "configure flags: ..." print
out). However this only happens on my x86_64 VPS, not on my arm machine
(SheevaPlug). I haven't tested yet on any othe machine, virtual or
physical.

I have tried strace-ing the bash process that runs the configure script,
it seems as if it calls itself recursively. Ultimately (it takes a while)
it runs out of memory and crashes.

If I roll back the configuration to before the stdenv update, the builds
run fine. So it seems to be something wrong with the configuration being
built, not with machine that builds it.

This is somewhat of a show-stopper for me :)

   / Rickard