[Nix-dev] openFile: resource exhausted -- cabal configure

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Mar 19 05:56:58 CET 2012

Excerpts from Daniel Santa Cruz's message of Mon Mar 19 01:55:32 +0100 2012:
> I'm at a loss as to where to start looking for the issue. Any hints on
> where to start? I'm not sure whether this is a nix issue, or a haskell
> issue, or even a haskell issue because my usage of nix.
run lsof. It'll tell you about all open file descriptors.

Haskell programs are likely to "leak" file descriptors due to their
lizainess - because GHC does not even guarantee to run destructors or
close handles if you read files "lazily".

Very recently "conduits" have been introduced which solve this issue.

However this may be totally unrelated to haskell programs and may be
caused by web servers under attack etc ..

There is also a linux wide global setting about how many open file
descriptor may be used per process - and that setting can be set using
limit commands in shells.

I don't know about limits on OSX.

Marc Weber