[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r33445 - in nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs: build-support/usernixos top-level

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Tue Mar 27 23:45:35 CEST 2012

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 10:58:15PM +0200, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> On 27/03/12 22:33, Lluís Batlle wrote:
>
> > Log:
> > Adding 'usernixos', where I start a modular kind-of-nixos that can go into
> > "nix-env -i" profiles, as a container for flexible configuration at the style
> > of nixos, to be defined in .nixpkgs/config.nix, with the main target of
> > generating an activation script.
>
> Reusing the module system to run parts of NixOS (such as Apache) as a normal
> user would be very useful.  However:
>
> - Why should this be in the Nixpkgs tree?

Ah, I can take it out. No problem.

> - This seems like a work-in-progress that has not yet seen any review that I'm
> aware of.  It would be better to put such things in a separate branch or
> repository until they're more mature and accepted.  (I'm saying this because
> there are already too many not-really-maintained experiments littering the
> Nixpkgs tree.)

Ah ok. Right, I was following the way of those experiments.

As for the rest of the comments... I see that you require some 'quality' and
'finishing' on whatever gets into nixpkgs trunk. :) Fine. Sorry for the noise.
It's easy to take it out.

Do you have any preference to have this in a nixos branch, for example?
Otherwise, if you don't oppose, I'll simply create my own repository apart as
with nanonixos, which will give me some more freedom over svn, and my commits
won't be received at nix-commits. :)

Thank you,
Lluís.