[Nix-dev] fixing node.js on Darwin

Sander van der Burg - EWI S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl
Fri Nov 2 18:32:40 CET 2012

Hello everyone,

Currently, I'm trying to deploy node.js on Mac OS X through the Nix package manager. Unfortunately, it fails because  cyrus-sasl is broken on Mac OS X.

For me, it looked a bit weird that cyrus-sasl was in the closure anyway, but apparently fetchsvn is used to download the V8 source code (a dependency of Node.js). Subversion has an optional feature to use cyrus-sasl, but it's disabled by default. However, subversion uses apr-util, which has an optional feature to use openldap, which is enabled by default. OpenLDAP has a dependency on cyrus-sasl and hence it's still in the closure.

I don't know if openldap should be enabled by default in the apr-util package. If I disable it, the fetchsvn function works fine. For me, it looks like it's better to disable it by default. What's your opinion on this?

Regards,

Sander van der Burg

P.S. I have ran into more issues that prevent Node.js from working.