[Nix-dev] fixing node.js on Darwin

Eduard Carreras i Nadal ecarreras at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 09:50:07 CET 2012

El 02/11/2012 18:32, "Sander van der Burg - EWI"
<S.vanderBurg<S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl>
@ <S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl>tudelft.nl <S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl>> va
escriure:

> Hello everyone,

Hi

> Currently, I'm trying to deploy node.js on Mac OS X through the Nix
package manager. Unfortunately, it fails because  cyrus-sasl is broken on
Mac OS X.

> For me, it looked a bit weird that cyrus-sasl was in the closure anyway,
but apparently fetchsvn is used to download the V8 source code (a
dependency of Node.js). Subversion has an optional feature to use
cyrus-sasl, but it's disabled by default. However, subversion uses
apr-util, which has an optional feature to use openldap, which is enabled
by default. OpenLDAP has a dependency on cyrus-sasl and hence it's still in
the closure.
Some days ago I was stucked with cyrus-sasl, then I started a branch to fix
the build for osx[1]. I saw in hydra, the build of cyrus-sasl in osx ever
fails[2].

Looking to the git log of cyrus-sasl I saw some commits[3][4] which fixes
the build on osx and I backported the patch for the current release, and
other fixes trying to build it.

For now the nix expression is ugly and don't distinguishes if
stdenv.isDarwin, but it builds. I can improve it if anyone is interested.

This is the diff[5].

Cheers,

Eduard Carreras

> I don't know if openldap should be enabled by default in the apr-util
package. If I disable it, the fetchsvn function works fine. For me, it
looks like it's better to disable it by default. What's your opinion on
this?

> Regards,
>
> Sander van der Burg
[1] https://github.com/ecarreras/nixpkgs/tree/build-cyrus-sasl-osx