[Nix-dev] assertions / throwing an error-message

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Sun Nov 18 18:08:17 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> The only way to make this work is make hydra accept the license - which
> would be bad - cause you could install the package by "one click
> install" without setting the option.
>
> For this reason I'd suggest manually building it only.

That's what I'm trying to achieve. It works fine. When I nix-env -i
it, it will throw the error explaining I need to accept the license
(link to it), and then set the config option.
After setting the option, installation worked fine.
So it seemed to have worked perfectly.
However, the eval-release.nix task seems to have an issue with it,
which I don't really understand.
I see lots of other packages that just use an if/then/else clause to
throw an error if certain conditions (like architecture) aren't met.
So I don't see how this case would be different.

As stated, just inserting an assertion in the top of this file does
the trick, but that gets rid of the helpful message.

> Thinking about it again - this is not even enough. If you have two
> users and one accepts the second can start the app from store without
> accepting the license. I don't know how much this matters at all.

Yes I though about that, but that's a problem that exists outside of nix too.
If I would run the installer on ubuntu, accept the license and install
into /opt/neoload, the installer does not make the install-dir
inaccessible for others, so other users can run it from there as well.
This is not that important, as the real license key is entered/saved
per user in their homedirs anyway.
So I guess agreeing to the eula just applies to downloading/unpacking
the software on a system in general.

> I don't see a solution - but again - I'm not a lawyer - so everything I
> say is void, anyway.

Well, same here :)  I think I should just write the authors and ask
for their opinion.