[Nix-dev] Adding xfce4 panel plugins

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 09:18:33 CEST 2012

Hello.

On 10/09/2012 03:32 PM, Eduard Carreras i Nadal wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to add some goodies to xfce4 like panel plugins. I've done
> the nix expression [1][2], then added to
> pkgs/desktops/xfce-4.8/default.nix[3].
>
> [...]
 >
> Then I tried to install this package with nix-env -i
> /nix/store/gas9rjahhdxkksv7k3fbq4kwgp17xrvf-xfce4-cpufreq-plugin-1.0.0
> but when I try to add the plugin there is not cpufreq plugin in the list
> of xfce4 panel plugins.

The problem is the path that the panel uses to search for plugins. I'm
quite sure it's compile-time configurable, but that would mean we need
to recompile it whenever (re)installing plugins, which would be very
uncomfortable.

The typical solution would be a wrapper that sets the path (like for
firefox), perhaps via an environment variable. I don't know if
xfce4-panel supports that, but it shouldn't be too difficult to patch
it. According to [gtk] it might work by setting GTK_PATH.

Even better, maybe it would suffice to modify the desktop file entry
X-XFCE-Module-Path or X-XFCE-Exec (see [xfce]).

Thanks for looking into it, it was also on my ever-growing ToDo list.

[xfce] http://wiki.xfce.org/dev/howto/panel_plugins
[gtk] http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/2.24/gtk-running.html

Vlada